Cachaça in Brazil: Best Brands to Try and Bring Home
- Wednesday January 24th, 2024
- Posted by: Amanda Ennes
- Category: Brazil
Welcome to the world of Cachaça in Brazil, a journey through the soul of this beloved Brazilian spirit. Navigate through the history of Cachaça, tracing its roots and evolution over the centuries. From the most awarded gems that have earned accolades for their craftsmanship to the familiar favorites that grace glasses nationwide. This article is your guide to the best this spirited landscape has to offer.
What is Cachaça in Brazil?
Cachaça, a quintessential Brazilian spirit, boasts a rich history intertwined with the country’s cultural fabric. Crafted from fermented sugarcane juice, cachaça stands as a symbol of Brazil’s vibrant spirit scene. Its origins date back to the 16th century when sugarcane plantations flourished in the country. Cachaça quickly became a staple, evolving from a simple agricultural product to a beloved national beverage.
Most Awarded Cachaças in Brazil
When it comes to cachaça, some brands stand out for their exceptional quality and craftsmanship. Brazil takes pride in its homegrown spirits, with awards serving as a testament to its excellence. Recognized for their dedication to the craft, these cachaça producers have garnered acclaim both locally and internationally.
If you want to try some cachaça in Brazil, here are a few notable brands:
- Leblon Cachaça: With a commitment to quality and traditional craftsmanship, Leblon Cachaça has garnered numerous awards for its smooth and refined flavor profile.
- Ypióca 150 years: Celebrating a century and a half of expertise, Ypióca 150 years stands as a testament to Brazil’s cachaça heritage, winning accolades for its rich and complex character.
- Nega Fulô Reserva Especial: This artisanal cachaça has earned recognition for its meticulous aging process, resulting in a distinct and sophisticated flavor that captivates connoisseurs.
- Germana Heritage: Known for its small-batch production and adherence to traditional methods, Germana Heritage has secured its place among the most awarded cachaças, pleasing palates with its authenticity.
- Cachaça Sebastiana Tradicional: With a nod to tradition and a dedication to excellence, Sebastiana Tradicional has received acclaim for its balanced and versatile character, making it a favorite among enthusiasts.
Most Sold Cachaças in Brazil
In the bustling markets and lively streets of Brazil, certain cachaça brands have earned the favor of locals, becoming the go-to choice for many. These widely sold cachaças reflect the preferences of the Brazilian palate and showcase the spirit’s accessibility and popularity across the country. They are affordable and easy to buy in supermarkets and bars.
- Pitú: As a household name in Brazil, Pitú holds a significant market share, cherished for its accessibility and versatility, making it a staple in homes and bars across the country.
- 51: A ubiquitous presence in Brazilian establishments, 51 is a top-selling cachaça known for its affordability and widespread popularity among both locals and visitors.
- Velho Barreiro: Combining affordability with quality, Velho Barreiro has earned its place as one of the most sold cachaças, catering to a broad audience with its smooth taste.
- Sagatiba Pura: Embraced for its clean and crisp profile, Sagatiba Pura has found its way into countless glasses, capturing the market with its straightforward and versatile nature.
- Canarinha: A go-to choice for many, Canarinha’s widespread availability and approachable price point contribute to its status as one of the most sold cachaças in Brazil.
Flavored Cachaça in Brazil
For those seeking a twist to the traditional cachaça experience, flavored variations offer a delightful journey for the taste buds. Brazil boasts an array of flavored cachaças, where aromatic infusions complement the spirit’s inherent sugarcane notes. From fruity concoctions to herbal blends, flavored cachaças provide a unique and refreshing take on the classic spirit. For instance, banana-flavored cachaças are quite popular all around Brazil.
Best Brands According to Ranking da Cúpula da Cachaça
For those keen on exploring the crème de la crème of cachaça, the Ranking da Cúpula da Cachaça serves as a reliable guide. This authoritative ranking system evaluates cachaça brands based on rigorous criteria, ensuring that only the finest make it to the top. From artisanal small batches to well-established names, the list offers a diverse selection catering to various preferences. Check the full ranking of 2022 here.
Here are the winners for each category:
- White Cachaça: Da Quinta Prata
- Aged Cachaça: Anísio Santiago/Havana
- Premium/Extra Premium: Pardin Porto
Drinks That Use Cahcaça as the Main Ingredient
- Caipirinha: The quintessential Brazilian cocktail, Caipirinha is a refreshing blend of Cachaça, lime, sugar, and ice, creating a harmonious symphony of flavors.
- Batida: A tropical delight, Batida combines Cachaça with coconut milk and various fruit juices, resulting in a smooth and fruity concoction that’s perfect for warm days.
- Rabo-de-Galo: It is the literal translation of the English word ‘cocktail’. This classic cocktail mixes Cachaça with red vermouth, creating a Brazilian twist on the classic Negroni.
- Cachaça Sour: A South American variation of the classic whiskey sour, Cachaça Sour features Cachaça, fresh lime juice, simple syrup, and a touch of egg white for a frothy texture.
- Cachaça Mojito: Putting a Brazilian spin on the classic Mojito, this rendition swaps rum for Cachaça, introducing a new depth of flavor with the addition of sugarcane spirit.
What Brands of Cachaça You Should Buy if You Are a Foreigner Visiting Brazil
If you find yourself captivated by the allure of cachaça during your visit to Brazil, consider bringing home a piece of this cultural gem. Look out for well-regarded but popular names like Seleta, Boazinha, and Salinas. These brands have consistently demonstrated a commitment to quality, making them excellent choices for souvenirs that encapsulate the essence of Brazilian spirits.
Cachaça in Brazil
Navigating the world of cachaça in Brazil opens up a sensory adventure, from its historical roots to the flourishing market of award-winning and flavorful options. Whether you are sipping a popular choice embraced by locals or indulging in a top-ranked brand, cachaça invites you to savor the spirit of Brazil in every drop. Cheers to discovering the best cachaça brands and bringing a piece of Brazil’s spirited culture home with you. Furthermore, do not hesitate to join Caipi-Sexta at Caminhos Language Centre while in Rio de Janeiro to embrace the culture while learning Portuguese and having fun at the most exciting Portuguese school in Brazil.
Watch Teacher Deise’s video on Cachaça
Caminhos Language Centre is the largest and most exciting Portuguese school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We have an excellent infrastructure, over 15 experienced Brazilian teachers, and a friendly multilingual support staff. We are the only school in Brazil able to offer Portuguese group courses throughout the year on 10 different levels. Moreover, our school also offers more than just Portuguese lessons for foreigners, we offer you the complete Rio de Janeiro experience. Every day we organize 100% free and fun activities for you to socialize and practice your Portuguese. We can also help you with a student visa for Brazil and accommodation in Rio de Janeiro. Follow us on Instagram for some Portuguese tips and news.