How to Get a CPF in Brazil As a Foreigner
- Monday May 29th, 2023
- Posted by: Amanda Ennes
- Category: Brazil
If you are a foreigner planning to live, work, or invest in Brazil, one of the essential steps is obtaining a CPF (Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas). This unique identification number is assigned to individuals residing in Brazil. The CPF is required for various activities, such as opening a bank account or purchasing a property. It is even necessary for basic transactions like buying a mobile phone or a SIM card. In this article, we will guide you through the process of how to get a CPF in Brazil, both in person and online.
What is a CPF?
It stands for Cadastro de Pessoas Físicas or “Physical Person Registration” and it is Brazil’s version of a Social Security Number/Tax File Number. Anyone coming to Brazil can get a CPF quickly and easily.
Why Do You Need a CPF?
If you are staying in Rio for over a month, it is a good idea to get a CPF.
You might need this number to make a purchase like buying a bus ticket, an internal flight ticket, or tickets to a football game or the theatre. Most shops ask for it. You will also need it to register your Brazilian SIM card. Passport ID can often be used in its place but having a CPF makes life easier. If you are planning to live here, you will need a CPF to open a bank account and do other major things, like legal and financial transactions.
Stay tuned because we will teach you simple steps on how to get a CPF in Brazil, both for in-person and online applications.
How to Get a CPF in Brazil in Person
If you are already in Brazil, it is easy to get a CPF in person. Just follow these steps:
- Gather the necessary documents. Before visiting a Brazilian Federal Revenue Service office or a post office, ensure you have the required documents. These include a copy of your passport, proof of address in Brazil, and proof of immigration status.
- Fill out the online application form. Accurately fill it out with all the required information and print it.
- Submit the application. Present your completed application form and supporting documents to the official at the counter. They will verify and process your application.
- Pay the fee. Pay the CPF registration fee at the office. You will only need to pay for it if you do it through the post office. If you go to the Brazilian Federal Revenue Service office, registration is free of charge.
- Receive your CPF card or number. Upon approval and fee payment, you will receive your CPF card immediately at the office. This card serves as physical proof of your CPF. If you don’t receive a physical card, you will be provided with a receipt containing your CPF number.
Address of the Brazilian Federal Revenue Service office in Ipanema, Rio de Janeiro:
Rua Barão da Torre, 296 – 5 minutes walking from Caminhos Language Centre. Opened from 9 am – 2 pm.
How to Get a CPF Online
Attention: You can only get your CPF online through this process if you have voter registration in Brazil. To obtain your CPF conveniently online, follow these steps:
- Visit the official website of the Brazilian Federal Revenue Service (Receita Federal) responsible for CPF registration.
- Fill out the online form. Accurately fill in the required personal details, passport information, and address in Brazil.
- Upload scanned copies or digital images of your passport, proof of address, and proof of immigration status. Ensure they meet the specified requirements.
- After completing the form and uploading the necessary documents, submit your application electronically through the website. Carefully review all the information for accuracy.
- Receive your CPF number. Upon submission, you will receive a confirmation message indicating that your application is being processed. Within a few days or weeks, you will receive an email or notification containing your CPF number. This number can be used for various purposes even before receiving a physical CPF card.
How to Get a CPF Abroad
For foreigners residing abroad who do not have a scheduled trip to Brazil, registration services must follow the steps below:
- Fill out the online form at Receita website. Accurately fill in the required personal details, passport information, and address in Brazil.
- Prepare the following documents: a printed copy of the online form filled out above and an identification document valid in your country of origin.
- Submit the documents to a Brazilian embassy or consulate within 15 days, along with the documents listed above.
- Receive your CPF card or number. Upon approval, you will receive a confirmation message indicating that your application is being processed. Within a few days or weeks, you will receive an email or notification containing your CPF number. This number can be used for various purposes even before receiving a physical CPF card.
Why Getting a CPF in Brazil
Obtaining a CPF in Brazil as a foreigner is a crucial step for various activities and transactions within the country. Whether you choose to apply in person or online, the process is relatively straightforward. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can successfully obtain your CPF and navigate the bureaucratic requirements with ease. Remember to gather all the necessary documents, accurately complete the application form, and pay the registration fee if applicable. With your CPF in hand, engaging in various activities in Brazil will be easier.
Having a CPF grants you access to essential services, facilitates legal and financial transactions, and establishes your identity in the country. By acquiring a CPF, you will experience greater ease and convenience in navigating various aspects of life in Brazil, ensuring a smoother integration into the local society.
Now that you have learned how to get a CPF in Brazil, go ahead and make your life easier if you are staying in the country for a long time.
Caminhos Language Centre is the largest and most exciting Portuguese school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We have an excellent infrastructure, over 15 experienced Brazilian teachers, and a friendly multilingual support staff. We are the only school in Brazil able to offer Portuguese group courses throughout the year on 10 different levels. Moreover, our school also offers more than just Portuguese lessons for foreigners, we offer you the complete Rio de Janeiro experience. Every day we organize 100% free and fun activities for you to socialize and practice your Portuguese. We can also help you with a student visa for Brazil and accommodation in Rio de Janeiro. Follow us on Instagram for some Portuguese tips and news.