What To Do in Rio de Janeiro at Night? – Best Nightlife in Rio
- Wednesday September 21st, 2022
- Posted by: Amanda Ennes
- Category: Rio de Janeiro
You know Rio de Janeiro is not only about nature, beautiful landscapes, and beaches. The nightlife is also very popular, as the city is famous for its bohemian vibe. So, after a day of exploring the city and its attractions, what to do in Rio de Janeiro at night?
Let’s check some options of nightclubs, bars, parties, and other events in Rio de Janeiro.
Lapa is known as the nest of carioca’s bohemian life. There are dozens of bars, restaurants, nightclubs, and theme pubs scattered through its 13 streets. And if you would rather hang out on the sidewalks, drinking your own beer and enjoying the nearby music, you can do just that. It does not matter what your interests are — if you want to listen to good music, dance, or hang out with friends. If you are looking for what to do in Rio de Janeiro at night, the nightlife in Lapa is definitely something to be experienced.
Bars to check in Lapa
- Casa da Cachaça: Avenida Mem de Sá, 110.
- Sarau Rio: Avenida Mem de Sá, 64.
- Bar da Lapa: Avenida Mem de Sá, 69.
- Boteco da Garrafa: Avenida Mem de Sá, 77.
- Arco-Íris da Lapa: Avenida Mem de Sá, 72.
- Bar das Quengas: Avenida Mem de Sá, 175.
Nightclubs to check in Lapa
- Leviano Bar: Avenida Mem de Sá, 47.
- Rio Scenarium: Rua do Lavradio, 20.
- Carioca da Gema: Avenida Mem de Sá, 79.
- Circo Voador: Rua dos Arcos, s/n.
- Fundição Progresso: Rua dos Arcos, 24.
- Beco do Rato: Rua Joaquim Silva, 11.
Pedra do Sal
Every Monday and Friday, there is a very famous roda de samba in Saúde, a neighborhood near Centro. It is a street party where musicians come together to play samba. Everybody gets around them for drinks, dancing, and hanging out. It is a very carioca thing to do and everybody loves it. It is free as all street parties in Rio. Pedra do Sal itself is a rock on Morro da Conceição, the place where the event happens. Get there around 9 pm and enjoy the fun for free. Check their Instagram for more info.
Address: Rua Argemiro Bulcão – Saúde.
Upbeat Bars and Restaurants
Like Lapa, there are a few other places in Rio that are famous for their busy nightlife. These are special areas of a neighborhood in which there is a significant concentration of bars, cafés, and restaurants. No matter which bar you end up going to, you will surely have a night full of entertainment. So, when thinking of what to do in Rio de Janeiro at night, these might be great options.
- Baixo Gávea: Around Praça Santos Dumont in Gávea.
- Baixo Botafogo: Around Rua Nelson Mandela, Rua Voluntários da Pátria and Rua São Clemente in Botafogo.
- Olegário Maciel: All across Avenida Olegário Maciel in Barra da Tijuca, near Jardim Oceânico subway station.
- Baixo Leblon: Between Avenida Ataulfo de Paiva and Rua Aristides Espínola in Leblon.
Ilha da Gigoia
On Sundays, there is a famous roda de samba at Ilha da Gioia in Barra da Tijuca. To get there, you must take the subway to Jardim Oceano Station and get the boat to Gigoia Island. Sambinha da Gigoia is a popular event, however, it starts early. It goes from 3 pm until 11 pm.
If you are looking for something more informal and easygoing, the Praia Skol kiosk at Copacabana beach is very popular. They are open 24 hours a day and sometimes host live music.
Address: Avenida Atlântica, 2740 – Copacabana.
Parties and Concerts
If you enjoy parties and live concerts, great options are held at MAM and Marina da Glória. However, these events are organized by third-party companies that rent their space. Therefore, you will not find information on their official website. You will need to keep an eye on websites like Sympla, Eventim, Ticket 360, and Ingresso Certo, which sell tickets for these kinds of events.
For people who enjoy dancing and having fun, these are the best nightclubs in Rio de Janeiro:
- New Mariuzinn: Avenida Nossa Senhora de Copacabana, 435 – Copacabana.
- Faro Beach Club: Avenida Niemeyer, 101 – São Conrado.
- Boleia Bar: Rua Capitão Salomão, 55 – Humaitá.
- Vitrinni: Avenida Armando Lombardi, 421 – Barra da Tijuca.
- All In Lounge: Avenida Armando Lombardi, 483 – Barra da Tijuca.
- Mirante do Arvrão: Rua Armando Almeida Lima, 8.
Ps: Mirante do Arvrão is a famous bar with live music at Vidigal Favela. Do not worry — it is a safe and popular place to go. To get there, take an Uber to the entrance of Vidigal and a mototaxi or local van to go up the hill to the bar.
If you are looking for some LGBT nightclubs in Rio de Janeiro, know that the city offers plenty of options. Moreover, the Lesgow app is a great tool for all the LGBT parties in town. They have a list of events and offer discounts for users.
In the meantime, here are some great gay-friendly nightclubs in Rio:
- Street Lapa: Avenida Gomes Freire, 599 – Centro.
- Pink Flamingo: Rua Rodolfo Dantas, 16 – Copacabana.
- Black Cat: Avenida Prado Júnior, 63 – Copacabana.
Caminhos Language Centre is the largest and most exciting Portuguese school in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. We have an excellent infrastructure, over 15 experienced Brazilian teachers, and a friendly multilingual support staff. We are the only school in Brazil able to offer Portuguese group courses throughout the year on 10 different levels. Moreover, our school also offers more than just Portuguese lessons for foreigners, we offer you the complete Rio de Janeiro experience. Every day we organize 100% free and fun activities for you to socialize and practice your Portuguese. We can also help you with a student visa for Brazil and accommodation in Rio de Janeiro.